Wix Search Engine Optimisation
Wix.com is a cloud-based web development platform that allows users to create HTML5 websites and mobile sites through easy-to-use online drag and drop tools. Wix provides customizable website templates and a simple site builder that includes apps, graphics, image galleries, fonts and other options. The platform is built on a freemium model, whereby most services are free but a premium is charged to connect sites to their own domains, remove Wix ads, add e-commerce capabilities or buy extra data storage and bandwidth.
Wix is extremely popular worldwide, with over 100 million users; its fantastic design capabilities, artificial design intelligence, flexibility and ability to incorporate animations make it popular for small business owners and those without a lot of technical knowledge.
PureSEO has worked with multiple clients who have Wix websites. Here are a few insights on how to maximise SEO for Wix sites and help them get ranking fast!
Include alt text in your images
Search engines aren’t the best equipped when it comes to interpreting images on your site. What they look for is ‘alt text’, which is a written description of the image (usually just a few words) that should include the product name or a few keywords you are interested in ranking for. Including alt text in your images is a great way to make them search engine friendly and improve the organic visibility of your site. Alt Text should preferably be less than 70 characters and can be added by following these steps:
Alt Text should preferably be less than 70 characters and can be added to your Wix images by following these steps:
- Click an image.
- Click the Settings icon.
- Enter a description of the image under ‘What’s in the image? Tell Google’.
Create meta descriptions and titles for all your pages
Each page on your Wix site should have a unique title tag and meta description with keywords that are relevant to your business. This meta information isn’t visible on the actual page but is used to create the ‘text blurb’ that describes your page in search engine results pages. Follow these instructions to create titles and descriptions for your web pages:
- Sign in to your Wix Editor.
- On the left side of your Editor, you’ll see menu panel; select the ‘Settings’ icon.
- From the Settings options, click SEO (Google).
- Select the ‘Allow search engines to find my site’ option at the top of the box.
- Fill out your ‘site title’.
- Add a short site description to your SEO settings as well.
Make sure your site is mobile friendly
In today’s world, with so many people using their mobile phones to browse and shop, optimising your HTML5 website for mobile devices is essential. Wix has a separate mobile editor, which can be used to customise the look of your site on a mobile device. We recommend working on the desktop and mobile versions of your site parallely. Wix makes life easier by allowing you to hide elements of your site so that it fits better on a mobile screen; therefore it’s good to know what is likely to work for both versions right at the start.
The steps to get mobile optimised are super simple:
- Open your website in the editor mode and click on the mobile icon at the top left to go to the mobile editor.
- Customise and edit your site to optimise it for mobile formats.
- Go to the Mobile Settings tab and enable Optimized Mobile View.
- Click Preview to see how your site will look on a mobile device.
- Click Publish and you are done!
- Note: All changes you make will not affect your regular website!
Follow the steps mentioned above to begin optimising your Wix site for organic search. To find out how you can improve your Wix site even further, check out our services page and contact us today.
Join our client list now, and become one of the only suppliers in your industry to partner with New Zealand’s leading Search Engine Optimisers – Pure SEO.
Call us on 09 950 3888 to learn more.Contact-Us